Canada is the second-largest nation in the world and a treasure trove of incredible places. It is blessed with picturesque natural beauty and diverse attractions, such as gorgeous national parks, shimmering lakes, vibrant cities, snowcapped mountains, unique historical spots, and breathtaking natural wonders. Millions of tourists visit this stunning country every year. One of the compulsory documents that you need to visit this beautiful country is a Canada Visa. Read on to learn more about the Canada visa requirements and photo specifications for the visa.
About Canada Visa
The first and foremost requirement is to get a Canada visa stamp on your passport in order to legally enter the country and stay there for a short time or permanently. Whether you get a visa depends on the complete submission of all documents, your eligibility, and the final decision of the Canadian Consulate or Embassy in your home country.
Even if you have a Canadian visa, customs officers evaluate you at the Canadian border. They will allow you to enter the country only if you answer the Canadian Border Services Officer (BSO) questions honestly and correctly. However, in case they are dissatisfied with your responses and have doubts about your eligibility, they can deny you entry and ask you to return to your home country even if you have a Canada visa.
Types of Canada visa
The various types of Canada visas are:
- Visitor visa – entry into Canada as a temporary resident.
- Work visa – entry to work in Canada for a specific period for employment purposes.
- Student visa – entry to Canada to pursue education.
- Permanent Residence visa – entry to Canada with permanent resident status through immigration. However, such a person is not considered a Canadian citizen.
- Business visa – entry to Canada for business purposes.
The Canada visa is also referred to as a temporary resident visa. You can stay up to six months, and these can be either single-entry or multiple-entry visas.
You are exempt from a Canada visa if you belong to any of the following countries. However, you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) to board your flight to Canada.
- The UK
Photo size requirements for a Canada visa
The following are the Canada visa photos size requirements. Kindly note that the photos you submit meet the specifications listed below. Due to some reason, if the pictures do not meet the specifications, you will have to submit new images before your visa application can be processed.
- The photos must be printed on quality photographic paper, and the frame size must be at least 35 mm x 45 mm.
- The photos must display the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, including the top of the shoulders.
- The size of the head, from crown to chin, must be between 31 mm and 36 mm.
- The photographs must have been clicked within the last six months and be identical. Both black and white/color photos are accepted. They must be clear and clicked against a solid white or light-colored background.
- If you are providing digital photos, they must not be altered in any way.
- Your face must be square to the camera. Your expression must be neutral – neither smiling nor frowning, and your mouth closed.
- Sunglasses are not acceptable in the photos. However, you can wear non-tinted prescription glasses, provided your eyes are visible. Kindly ensure that the frame does not cover any part of your eyes.
- If you cover your head for religious reasons, ensure it does not conceal your facial features.
- A hairpiece or other cosmetic accessory is allowed if it does not change your everyday appearance.
Documents required for a Canada visa
The below-listed documents are mainly required for a Canada visa.
- A valid passport for at least six months or more, along with information such as the number, date of issue and expiry of the passport, full name of the applicant, birth date, place of residence, and country of origin. It must have 2-3 blank pages for stamping. (You must submit old passports, if any, and pages with stamps, visas, or markings, in case you have traveled to Canada before)
- Two passport-size photos as per the above specifications.
- A duly filled and signed visa application form is available on the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) website.
- A cover letter addressed to the Government of Canada, stating the purpose of travel and why you require a Canada tourist visa.
- A letter of invitation from the sponsor if you plan to stay with family or friends.
- Proof of Canada visa fees already paid. The two types of payments are visa and biometrics fees, and both receipts need to be submitted.
- Submit medical records showing that you are in good health.
- Provide proof of a clean criminal record and no immigration-related convictions.
- Proof of funds like a bank statement for the last six months that displays all the transactions occurring over the previous six months, including transactions like property purchases, fixed deposits, foreign slips, occupational viability, etc. The funds must be sufficient to cover your stay in Canada.
- A complete itinerary of the trip, including the places you will visit.
- Onward and return flights and hotel booking details.
- Proof of connection with your home country – family, job, property, financial assets, responsibilities back home, etc., and an assurance that you will return to your home country once the Canadian visa expires.
- Any other document that may be necessary to fulfill the entry criteria.
Canada has so many different landscapes and places to explore that there is never a dull moment. No matter which part of the country you visit, you will have an unforgettable time. Apply for your Canada visa in advance and submit all your documents correctly, and rest assured that you will have the time of your life.